The “Juliana” climate case denied appeal by Supreme Court

The Supreme Court on Monday concluded its 10-year journey through the court, refusing to hear appeals in a groundbreaking climate case brought to the federal government by 21 young people.

However, the case provided a blueprint for many other climate-related lawsuits that have achieved greater success.

Juliana v. the United States alleged that the government violated the plaintiffs’ constitutional rights with policies that encourage the use of fossil fuels. However, it was dismissed by the U.S. Court of Appeals in the Ninth Circuit, and the judge ruled that the court was not the right place to deal with climate change.

“In fact, the impressive case of plaintiff relief must be presented to the political sector of the government,” wrote Judge Andrew D. Harwitz. Opinions for 2020.

The nonprofit law firm in Eugene, Oregon, which represents the plaintiffs, filed the final legal gambit in a lawsuit last year. Last year, she threw the Supreme Court’s decision back on the Court of Appeals and asked Juliana to go to trial in a lower court. The petition was rejected Monday.

Some observers also thought it was risky to ask the Supreme Court to consider appeals, given concerns that conservative courts might use the case to abandon long-standing environmental protections.

The plaintiff in the case is Kelsey Cascadia Rose Juliana, a now 29-year-old Oregon teacher, the environmentalist and longtime climate activist daughter. The story of how she became involved in the lawsuit was documented in the documentary “Youthv. Gov.”

Juliana’s legal framework has since been replicated in numerous lawsuits and legal actions across the country. And last year, our child’s trust, which submitted many cases, recorded two notable victories.

The group has reached a settlement between Navahine v. Hawaii Department. There, the state agreed to reduce emissions of carbon dioxide, the major greenhouse gas that warms the planet from its transport system within 20 years. And that’s a hold v. We won in Montana. There, the judge ruled that the state must consider climate change when approving a fossil fuel project. The Court of Appeals upheld the decision in December.

The plaintiff named in that case led to the decision to take part in the case as 23-year-old Ricky grew up on a cattle ranch in Montana and saw the effects of climate change firsthand. She is currently a science educator through the Peace Corps of Kenya.

On Monday, she said the Juliana incident paved the way for her. “Juliana left an indelible mark on the climate lawsuit landscape through the unwavering dedication of the plaintiffs and legal team,” she said.

Julia Olson, founder of Our Children’s Trust, had asked the Biden administration to discuss the settlement in the Juliana case. She said on Monday that Juliana “littles a legal movement.”

However, Justice Department lawyers argued that the court was not set up correctly to address climate change as judges were unable to order or enforce “viable relief” on the matter.

Some experts also raised concerns about the organization’s strategy in the Supreme Court, focusing on the risk that a conservative vast majority of courts could adopt Juliana’s case as a way to rethink legal precedents that will take root in environmental protection.

In an interview last year, Vermont law and graduate environmental law expert Patrick Derprue said: “If you need an answer to this question, you probably don’t like the answer you’re trying to get.”

However, he added that he still praises the efforts of the youth and their lawyers.

Olson said environmentalists should not move away from the courts. “If we don’t show up, don’t advance our claims, don’t shed light on injustice, then other forces will always win,” she said.

Source: www.nytimes.com

Elon Musk’s request for nearly $900 million in Starlink subsidies denied by FCC

Republican critics were furious after the Federal Communications Commission rejected nearly $900 million in subsidies for Elon Musk’s Starlink internet service, calling it a revenge move by the Biden administration. did.

Musk’s SpaceX was appealing a 2022 FCC move that denied the company access to about $886 million in subsidies as part of a government program to boost rural internet service. .

The five-member FCC, led by Democratic-appointed Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel, affirmed the decision on Tuesday, finding that Starlink “has failed to demonstrate that it can deliver its promised services.”

republican party FCC Commissioner Brendan Carr objects. In the decision, Musk claimed that “President Biden has given the green light to federal agencies” after the billionaire bought Twitter for $44 billion last year.

In August, the Department of Justice sued SpaceX, accusing it of discriminating against refugees and asylees in its hiring practices. SpaceX fired back, arguing that the federal government’s lawsuit is unconstitutional.

Kerr said the FCC’s denial of the subsidy “certainly falls within the Biden administration’s pattern of regulatory harassment.”

Another Republican, Nathan Symington, agreed with Kerr and argued that his colleagues at the FCC improperly set SpaceX’s 2025 performance standards three years early.

Starlink’s application for nearly $900 million in government grants was denied. AFP (via Getty Images)
The recent failure of SpaceX’s Starship rocket has been cited as a potential cause for concern. zumapress.com

“What’s the point in having an agreement to build service by 2025 if the FCC can keep it there until 2022 on a whim?” Symington said.

When the FCC initially denied SpaceX’s grant application, Musk’s company had already won approval to provide satellite-based, high-speed broadband Internet service to about 642,000 rural locations in 35 U.S. states. Was. At the time, Rosenworcel expressed concern that Starlink’s internet was not reaching the “promised speeds.”

The agency this week cited some of its concerns over the recent failure of SpaceX’s Starship, which exploded shortly after liftoff last month.

Elon Musk criticized the FCC for this decision. Reuters

“After a careful legal, technical and policy review, the FCC has determined that this applicant will be eligible for approximately $900 million in Universal Service Funds over approximately 10 years,” Rosenworcel said in a statement. We judged that the burden was not fulfilled.”

Musk personally slammed the FCC’s decision, writing to X that Starlink is “the only company actually solving rural broadband at scale!”

“What actually happened was that the companies that lobbied for this large allocation (not us) thought they were going to win, but instead they lost to Starlink. So now they’re changing the rules so that SpaceX can’t compete,” Musk said.

Musk has frequently clashed with the Biden administration since President Biden took office in 2020. The billionaire called Biden a “wet-sock puppet” and accused the president of disrespecting Tesla despite the company’s leading role in the development of electric cars. The government will support you.

Meanwhile, Musk’s business faces multiple federal investigations, including an ongoing investigation by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration into the company’s Autopilot self-driving assist technology.

Tesla on Wednesday announced a major recall of 2 million vehicles over concerns that the vehicles lacked adequate safety features to “prevent driver misuse.”

Source: nypost.com