FCC Chairman calls for investigations into Disney’s diversity, equity, and inclusion practices

The Federal Communications Commission chair said Friday that he has launched an investigation into Disney’s diversity, equity and inclusion program in his latest attempt under the Trump administration to stop such efforts.

In a letter to Disney’s CEO Robert Iger, chairman Brendan Kerr said the company’s program to increase job diversity and promote racial-based affinity groups appears to violate equal employment opportunities regulations.

“Disney wants to ensure that virtually all discriminatory initiatives will be completed, not just the name,” Kerr said in a letter sent Thursday. “In another case, Disney’s actions – whether they’re ongoing or recently terminated, we want to determine whether they’re always in compliance with applicable FCC rules.”

A Disney spokesman said the company is reviewing the FCC letter. “We look forward to being involved with the committee to answer that question.”

Veteran Republican regulator Kerr began his tenure as FCC chair in January by launching a drastic campaign to scrutinize the media, sought to eradicate left-leaning bias and policy allegations that were corned by the president.

Last month he began a similar diversity and inclusion investigation into Comcast, the parent company of NBCuniversal. Kerr also said the agency’s merger reviews will include a survey of the company’s DEI program.

The investigation continues Presidential Order Trump was banned from “illegal and immoral” DEI programs in the federal government on his first day. A day later, Kerr announced that he would be closing his promotion of diversity and equity in the FCC’s strategic planning, budget and economic reporting.

It is unclear whether the FCC, which normally serves as a cable television watchdog, distributing licenses to broadcast television and radio stations, has the power to punish media companies for its diversity initiative. Kerr argues that a wide range of “public interest” standards can be applied to scrutiny companies such as Disney, which owns ABC and ESPN, and Disney, such as television stations around the country.

FCC experts said Kerr’s investigation could be challenged in court.

“It’s about bullying and threats,” said Andrew Schwartzman, a senior advisor to the Benton Institute for Broadband Society. Kerr’s most powerful tool is his vote on the committee to approve mergers and acquisitions, he said.

Trump nominated Kerr has launched an investigation since he chaired several news outlets, including PBS and NPR, accused him of left-leaning political bias. He investigated an interview that CBS’s “60 minutes” was conducted with former vice president Kamala Harris and released an investigation by San Francisco radio station KCBS regarding reports of immigration enforcement measures.

Kerr publicly agreed to the administration’s promise to cut regulations significantly, chase big technology, and punish television networks for political bias. Kerr is restructuring independent bodies, expanding its duties and using it as a political weapon of rights, Telecommunications lawyers and analysts said.

Brooks Burns Contributed with a report from Los Angeles.

Source: www.nytimes.com

Elon Musk’s request for nearly $900 million in Starlink subsidies denied by FCC

Republican critics were furious after the Federal Communications Commission rejected nearly $900 million in subsidies for Elon Musk’s Starlink internet service, calling it a revenge move by the Biden administration. did.

Musk’s SpaceX was appealing a 2022 FCC move that denied the company access to about $886 million in subsidies as part of a government program to boost rural internet service. .

The five-member FCC, led by Democratic-appointed Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel, affirmed the decision on Tuesday, finding that Starlink “has failed to demonstrate that it can deliver its promised services.”

republican party FCC Commissioner Brendan Carr objects. In the decision, Musk claimed that “President Biden has given the green light to federal agencies” after the billionaire bought Twitter for $44 billion last year.

In August, the Department of Justice sued SpaceX, accusing it of discriminating against refugees and asylees in its hiring practices. SpaceX fired back, arguing that the federal government’s lawsuit is unconstitutional.

Kerr said the FCC’s denial of the subsidy “certainly falls within the Biden administration’s pattern of regulatory harassment.”

Another Republican, Nathan Symington, agreed with Kerr and argued that his colleagues at the FCC improperly set SpaceX’s 2025 performance standards three years early.

Starlink’s application for nearly $900 million in government grants was denied. AFP (via Getty Images)
The recent failure of SpaceX’s Starship rocket has been cited as a potential cause for concern. zumapress.com

“What’s the point in having an agreement to build service by 2025 if the FCC can keep it there until 2022 on a whim?” Symington said.

When the FCC initially denied SpaceX’s grant application, Musk’s company had already won approval to provide satellite-based, high-speed broadband Internet service to about 642,000 rural locations in 35 U.S. states. Was. At the time, Rosenworcel expressed concern that Starlink’s internet was not reaching the “promised speeds.”

The agency this week cited some of its concerns over the recent failure of SpaceX’s Starship, which exploded shortly after liftoff last month.

Elon Musk criticized the FCC for this decision. Reuters

“After a careful legal, technical and policy review, the FCC has determined that this applicant will be eligible for approximately $900 million in Universal Service Funds over approximately 10 years,” Rosenworcel said in a statement. We judged that the burden was not fulfilled.”

Musk personally slammed the FCC’s decision, writing to X that Starlink is “the only company actually solving rural broadband at scale!”

“What actually happened was that the companies that lobbied for this large allocation (not us) thought they were going to win, but instead they lost to Starlink. So now they’re changing the rules so that SpaceX can’t compete,” Musk said.

Musk has frequently clashed with the Biden administration since President Biden took office in 2020. The billionaire called Biden a “wet-sock puppet” and accused the president of disrespecting Tesla despite the company’s leading role in the development of electric cars. The government will support you.

Meanwhile, Musk’s business faces multiple federal investigations, including an ongoing investigation by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration into the company’s Autopilot self-driving assist technology.

Tesla on Wednesday announced a major recall of 2 million vehicles over concerns that the vehicles lacked adequate safety features to “prevent driver misuse.”

Source: nypost.com

FCC Denies $885 Million in Starlink Grants

The F.C.C. Starlink’s $885 million application finally rejected Despite spending public money to expand orbital communications infrastructure that covers parts of rural America, the company said it “has not been able to demonstrate that it can deliver the services it promised.”

As previously reported, the funds in question were part of the Provincial Digital Opportunity Fund. It’s a multibillion-dollar program that subsidizes the deployment of Internet service in areas where private companies have previously found it too expensive or remote. The $885 million was first set aside for Starlink in 2020, in response to the company’s bid to provide how much connectivity to which regions and at what cost.

The FCC explained that this initial application is high-level and short-term, and those who qualify will be subject to close scrutiny. For example, one organization that was allocated more than $1 billion in funding turned out to be a regional effort that was unable to scale as hoped.

In Starlink’s case, last summer’s proposal for satellite internet showed promise, but it turned out to be a “developing technology” that would require users to purchase a $600 dish. Most people wouldn’t pay that much for a year’s internet bill. Therefore, given the target audience of under-resourced people, this should be seriously considered. (In fact, the FCC considered not allowing orbital carriers to apply, but decided to let them compete on their own merits.)

This was in addition to “numerous financial and technical deficiencies” that authorities identified in the proposal and the company’s operations. This is not to say that this is a poorly run company that provides excellent service to some, but for the purpose of this auction and winning bid, there were serious questions:

After reviewing all information submitted by Starlink, the Bureau ultimately determined that Starlink would have a network of the scope, size, and scale necessary to serve 642,925 model locations in 35 states. We concluded that the company had not demonstrated a reasonable ability to meet RDOF’s requirements to deploy. That was the winning bidder.

Starlink called for a review of the decision, arguing among other things that the decision was made on the basis of “inappropriately burdensome criteria,” as is their right in this situation. (Apparently, the relevant parts have been edited in the latest version) order) claimed that although short-term tests showed a drop in speed and other metrics, the company has plans to launch more satellites and will be able to expand its network as claimed. It also relied on the promise of SpaceX’s super-heavy rocket Starship as proof of its claims.

However, the FCC notes that:

At the time of the station’s decision, Starship had not yet been launched.Certainly even today [i.e. over a year later], Starship has not yet been successfully launched. All attempted launches failed. Based on Starlink’s previous claims regarding plans to launch second-generation satellites via Starship and the information available at the time, [Wireline Competition] In making prospective judgments regarding Starlink’s ability to meet its RDOF obligations, the Secretariat necessarily considered the inability to continue to successfully launch Starship rockets.

A footnote notes that it was only after the denial was issued that SpaceX announced it would not use Starship after all for the second generation of Starlink satellites.

Fundamentally, they recognized the benefits of this approach, but were not 100% convinced that this was the best use of the lion’s share of $1 billion. Probably in the next fund.

Two Republican FCC commissioners, Brendan Carr and Nathan Symington, opposed the decision. Simington is probably correct in pointing out that “many RDOF recipients never deployed service at any speed or in any location,” while Starlink had service to 500,000 subscribers at the time of its rejection. many of which were in areas not served by other broadband options. He dismissed the launch issue as a ploy of the agency’s “motivated reasoning.”

Carr calls this politics. “After Elon Musk took over Twitter and used it to express his political and ideological views without filter, President Biden gave federal agencies the green light to pursue him… Elon Musk I became a ‘progressive enemy.’” No. 1. Today’s decision certainly fits the Biden administration’s pattern of regulatory harassment. ”

Of course, Starlink’s denial was made long before its acquisition and subsequent downfall of Elon Musk (what was he doing?), and the FCC is here today to reaffirm its case. It is not a new announcement. That’s quite a factual error.

Both prove that their faith in Starlink may or may not be misplaced. But given that $885 million is at stake, the FCC’s decision to err on the side of caution makes sense if it does so at all. Funds will be donated to other applicants and programs.

Although this money did not actually go to Starlink, the loss of income (or whatever such awards are classified as monetary) is not easy to endure. However, the company probably knows that the appeal of this decision will be difficult and has not counted on this funding for quite some time.

Although the company is not profitable, it recently reached what CEO Elon Musk calls “breakeven cash flow.” True, its revenues have soared (from about $222 million to $1.4 billion), but the significant operational costs of building and launching the satellites needed to serve thousands of new customers It took. The company, which has missed predictions for several years that it would be in the billions of dollars by now, has at least convincingly demonstrated its capabilities both at home and in war.

Maybe they don’t need that $885 million after all. The Pentagon’s money is just as green.

Source: techcrunch.com