Google Ceases Notification of Publishers Regarding Removal of ‘Right to be Forgotten’ from Search Results

Google will inform publishers quietly that it has removed websites from search results under Europe’s “right to be forgotten” rules, following a Swedish court ruling that the search engine applies globally. Stopped.

Previously, when an individual requested that records about them be deleted under EU data protection law, Google would notify the publisher of the original article.

Media companies, including the Guardian, are largely exempt from regulation, but links to journalistic content can be removed from databases such as search engines.

Currently, Google only notifies publishers that a URL has been removed, without providing details about what or why.

As a result, journalists are unable to identify situations in which the right to be forgotten is being misused to obscure legitimate reporting about serial offenders, hampering their ability to challenge the most serious rights violations.

A Google spokesperson said: “We have introduced a new approach to notifications following a decision by the Swedish Data Protection Authority. It came into force.”

“Although we did not agree with this decision at the time, it is binding and supports EU-wide regulatory guidance. We have therefore made strong efforts to comply with it. Ta.”

One of the changes introduced by the GDPR in 2016 was to ensure that EU national court decisions on data protection set precedent across the bloc.

A Swedish court ruled in December that notifying webmasters that search engines have removed links to their content is itself a violation of the privacy of people who have requested the right to be forgotten.

“Thus, the Administrative Court found that once Google granted the deletion of search results, the interests of individuals in privacy and effective protection of personal data generally outweighed Google’s interests. [sic] Send a message to the webmaster, concludes. according to International Association of Privacy Professionals.

Upheld a 50 million Swedish kronor (£3.8 million) fine against search engines for failing to remove URLs they were asked to remove from their lists.

Skip past newsletter promotions

Within weeks of the first judgment in May 2014, which ruled that the right to be forgotten applied to Google, six Guardian articles were removed from the European version of the search engine.

Three of the charges related to now-retired Scottish Premier League referee Dougie McDonald, who was found to have lied about his reasons for awarding penalties in a football match in 2010. . Others included his 2002 article about a lawyer facing a fraud trial and his 2011 article about a French office worker who makes his art Post-It Notes.

Over the next five years, the search engine received about 1 million unique forgotten requests, and even though more than half were rejected, it still removed about 1.5 million unique URLs.

Source: www.theguardian.com

Apple is reportedly exploring AI partnerships with news publishers and is prepared to offer substantial financial incentives.

In recent weeks, Apple has begun negotiations with major news and publishing organizations seeking permission to use their material in the development of its generative artificial intelligence systems, as reported by The New York Times on Friday. The iPhone maker is offering a multi-year deal worth at least $50 million to license its news article archives, the report said, citing people familiar with the discussions. Media outlets contacted by Apple include Condé Nast, publisher of Vogue and The New Yorker, NBC News, and IAC, which owns People, The Daily Beast, and Better Homes and Gardens, according to the New York Times. Tim Cook’s Apple is reportedly offering a multi-year deal worth at least $50 million to license its archives of news articles. According to reports, some publishers contacted by Apple were tepid about the proposal. Apple did not respond to Reuters‘ request for comment. Leading technology companies are actively investing in integrating generative AI. Apple, on the other hand, used this technology to improve the basic functionality of its new gadgets. Media outlets contacted by Apple include Condé Nast, Vogue, and The New Yorker. Apple also announced new MacBook Pro and iMac computers and three new chips to power them in October, making chatbots and other creations constrained by the amount of data they can hold in a computer’s memory. It was emphasized that these can be used by many artificial intelligence researchers.

Source: nypost.com