Ancient Christian Church Unearthed in Armenia after 1,600 Years

Armenian archaeologists have discovered the remains of an early Christian church in the ruins of the ancient city of Artaxata.

Preliminary reconstruction of the early Christian church of Artaxata. Image credit: Armenian-German Arttaxata project.

ArtaxataThe main city of ancient Armenia, also known as Artashat, served as the capital of the Kingdom of Armenia from its founding in 176 BC to 120 AD.

Founded during the reign of Artaxias I (Artashes), the city is located on the left bank of the Arax River, in modern-day Ararat province of Armenia.

Artaxata was destroyed and rebuilt several times between the 1st and 5th centuries AD, but was eventually abandoned.

“According to legend, Gregory the Enlightener converted the Armenian king Tiridates III to Christianity at Artaxata in 301 AD, making Armenia the first Christian state in the world,” said Professor Achim Lichtenberger, an archaeologist at the University of Münster. said the colleague.

“The medieval monastery of Khor Villap, located very close to the newly discovered church, is a reminder of this tradition.”

“Artaxata served as the capital of the Armenian kingdom ruled by the Artaxiads and Arsacusids.”

“The city developed into an important metropolis during the Hellenistic period and was the capital of the Kingdom of Armenia for almost six centuries.”

Early Christian churches were built on stately columns. Image credit: Armenian-German Arttaxata project.

The newly discovered Christian church is an octagonal building with a cross-shaped extension.

The building was approximately 30 meters in diameter and was simply constructed with mortar floors and terracotta tiles.

Marble imported from the Mediterranean was also used lavishly.

Professor Lichtenberger and his colleagues from the National Academy of Sciences of Armenia and the University of Münster discovered the remains of a wooden platform in an extension approximately 30 meters in diameter, which they radiocarbonly date to the mid-4th century AD. .

“The fourth-century building is the oldest archaeologically recorded church in the country and is sensational evidence of early Christianity in Armenia,” Professor Lichtenberger said.

Dr. Mukrtich Zardarian, an archaeologist at the Armenian National Academy of Sciences, said: “Octagonal churches were previously unknown here, but we are well-known in the Eastern Mediterranean region, where they first appeared in the 4th century AD. I did,” he added.

“Typologically, this find corresponds to an early Christian monument.”

The researchers said, “We plan to continue the excavation and hope to make new discoveries, including the question of who this church was dedicated to.''

Source: www.sci.news

X tries to conceal footage of Sydney church stabbing as American users share video online

Social media platform X claims to have followed an Australian Federal Court order to take down footage of the Wakeley church stabbing. However, the footage was still accessible to Australian users as it was posted right below the compliance announcement.

X stated that it complied with the law by “restricting” some posts for Australian users. They argue that the post should not have been banned in Australia and that the government shouldn’t have the power to censor content from users in other countries.

Last week, eSafety commissioners requested X to remove footage of an attack on Bishop Mar-Marie Emmanuel due to its graphic nature.


A federal court on Monday ordered X, previously known as Twitter, to hide posts with video of the Sydney church stabbing from global users. The Australian Federal Police raised concerns in court about the potential use of the video to incite terrorism.

Regulators asked X to remove 65 separate tweets containing videos of the attack.

X’s lawyers argued in court that they had already geo-blocked the posts in Australia, but the eSafety Commissioner insisted this was not sufficient.

Many tweets could still be accessed outside Australia or through VPNs within the country.

The court extended the injunction on Wednesday, ordering the posts to be hidden until May 10, 2024, pending further legal proceedings.

Late on Thursday, X’s Global Government Affairs account stated, “We feel we are complying with the eSafety notice and Australian law by restricting all relevant posts in Australia.” They also posted a statement.

However, a verified user, X, based in New Hampshire, USA, posted footage of the attack in response to X’s statement, which was visible to Australian users.

Skip past newsletter promotions

X stated on Thursday that they believe the content did not incite violence and should be considered part of public debate, arguing against global content removal demands.

The company opposes government authority to censor online content and believes in respecting each country’s laws within its jurisdiction.

The eSafety Commissioner emphasized the need to minimize harm caused by harmful content online, despite the challenges of completely eradicating it.

Posts including the video in question became inaccessible to some users after inquiries from Guardian Australia.

Federal opposition leader Peter Dutton supported X and Elon Musk, stating that Australia should not act as the internet police and federal law should not dictate global content removal.

X has yet to comment on the situation.

Source: www.theguardian.com

Australian court orders Elon Musk’s X to remove Sydney church stabbing post from global users

The Federal Court of Australia mandated that Elon Musk’s content be hidden from users.

X, along with Mehta, was instructed by eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman-Grant to promptly remove any material depicting “unreasonable or offensive violence with serious consequences or details” within 24 hours or risk facing fines.

The content in question was a video allegedly showing Bishop Mar Mari Emanuel being stabbed to death during a livestreamed service at the Assyrian Church of the Good Shepherd in Wakely.

Although X claimed compliance with the request, they intended to challenge the order in court.

During a hearing, eSafety barrister Christopher Tran informed Judge Jeffrey Kennett that X had geographically restricted access to the posts containing the video, rendering them inaccessible in Australia but available globally through VPN connections.

Tran argued that this noncompliance with online safety laws necessitated the removal of the content globally as an interim step.

X’s legal representative, Marcus Hoyne, requested an adjournment, citing the late hour in San Francisco where X is based and lack of instructions from his client.

Judge Kennett proposed issuing an interim order until the next hearing, requiring the post’s removal and global access blockage until a specified date and time.

Treasurer Stephen Jones criticized X as a “factory of trolls and misinformation” and affirmed the government’s readiness to combat legal challenges from the company.

The eSafety Commissioner clarified that the notice solely concerned the video footage and not any commentary surrounding the incident.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese emphasized the harmful impact of violent content on social media and condemned X for noncompliance with the removal order.

Meta purportedly followed the directive, while X accused the regulator of “global censorship” and announced intentions to challenge the order in court.

Treasurer Jones vowed to challenge X’s stance, emphasizing the need for online platforms to adhere to laws and maintain safety.

Regulators collaborated with various companies, including Google, Microsoft, Snap, and TikTok, to remove the contentious content.

Opposition Leader Peter Dutton voiced support for eSafety’s actions and criticized X for considering itself above the law.

Green Party spokesperson Sarah Hanson-Young called upon Elon Musk to address the issue in parliament and urged tech companies to act responsibly.

This confrontation is the latest in the ongoing dispute between X and the eSafety Commissioner, which includes legal battles over compliance with safety regulations.

X faced legal action for allegedly bullying a trans man on Twitter, prompting the company to block access to the content in Australia, while filing a lawsuit challenging the decision.

Queries for comments from X remain unanswered.

Source: www.theguardian.com