India Cancels Directive on Preloading State-Owned Security Apps on Smartphones

The Indian government has rescinded an order that mandated all smartphones to include a state-owned security application, following widespread protests concerning privacy issues and resistance from tech companies.

The Ministry of Telecommunications has announced the cancellation of a previous mandate requiring technology firms to integrate the government’s Sanchar Saathi cybersecurity app on all smartphones sold in India within a 90-day timeframe.

This order ignited a political uproar, with major tech giants, including Apple and Google, indicating their refusal to comply, citing privacy worries. In a statement released Wednesday, the government confirmed that it had “chosen not to mandate mobile phone manufacturers to pre-install it.”

The government emphasized that the app, designed to enable users to block and track lost or stolen devices and report fraudulent calls, is “secure and solely intended to help citizens combat the ‘bad actors’.”


The initial mandate, which was quietly communicated to tech companies last week, quickly drew backlash as internet privacy advocates and political opposition parties voiced concerns over its potential for mass surveillance.

Apple and Google, speaking anonymously to the media, asserted that tech firms would oppose the mandate due to privacy concerns impacting their operating systems and contradicting internal policies.

Protests erupted in Parliament on Wednesday, with opposition lawmakers accusing Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s administration of infringing on citizens’ fundamental right to privacy.

Randeep Singh Surjewala from the opposition Indian National Congress party warned that the app “could function as a kill switch, turning all mobile phones into non-functional devices, potentially used against journalists, opposition leaders, and dissenters at the government’s discretion.”

Similar concerns arose after the Russian government mandated the installation of an app named Max on all smartphones in August, leading to accusations of potential mass surveillance.

In response to the backlash, Communications Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia clarified that the Sanchar Saathi app was optional and removable, which contradicted the original directive.

“In a democracy, every citizen has that right, so you can uninstall it just like any other application. No snooping will be possible with this app,” he stated.

The government’s decision to withdraw the order was welcomed by online rights and privacy advocacy groups. “At this moment, until formal legal guidance is released and independently verified, this should be viewed as cautious optimism rather than a definitive resolution,” commented the Internet Freedom Foundation.

Source: www.theguardian.com

NOAA cancels monthly calls for climate and weather updates

Staff cuts have impacted work at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

Kristoffer Tripplaar / Alamy

The US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) says it will “stop” monthly calls to update reporters on seasonal weather forecasts and global climate conditions.

A NOAA spokesman says recent cuts, resignation and resignation under President Donald Trump's control have led to staffing issues that have led to agents “no longer able to support them.” But they say every month Report It will be edited and continued to be published by the National Center for Environmental Information, operated by NOAA.

He says another reason the agency is closing calls could be due to fear of employees violating the new administration by talking about climate change. Tom Di RivatoNOAA's genius scientist and public relations specialist who was fired during widespread cuts in February. “They don't want to get stuck between telling the truth and then riding on the wrong side of a political appointee,” he says.

During the monthly call, NOAA scientists will provide you with updates on a variety of predictions and measurements the agency has created. In addition to information on global land and ocean temperatures, the description includes information on seasonal weather forecasts and droughts in the United States. These calls also give reporters the opportunity to ask questions to help them better understand new information.

In past briefings, researchers openly discussed the role of human-induced climate change in driving at record high temperatures. But last month's call – first held under the new administration – NOAA researchers declined to mention climate change when discussing record global temperatures in January. The call ended later New Scientist We asked the researchers directly to see what role climate change played at high temperatures.

Di Liberto says the agency has not explicitly directed researchers, let alone climate change. However, he knows from his current contact with staff there is an atmosphere of fear about saying the wrong thing.

“It's a fear of being cut, but I'm also afraid that the work they're doing is trying to help people, or that they're being told they can't say what they can say based on science,” he says.

Since January, the administration has fired almost 1,000 people from government agencies, and hundreds more have resigned. The government is It reportedly plans to cut more than 1,000 employeesone-tenth of the agency's workforce.

topic:

Source: www.newscientist.com

Warner Bros Cancels Wonder Woman Video Games, Shuts Down 3 Studios

Warner Bros Discovery has decided to close three video game development studios in order to boost profitability in the gaming sector amidst a slow market recovery.

The studios being closed are Player First Game, WB Game San Diego, and Monolith Productions. Development of the Monolith Wonder Woman game will also be halted after the closure. A spokesperson stated, “Our initial goal was to provide players and fans with the best possible experience for iconic characters. Unfortunately, this is no longer feasible given our strategic priorities.”

The closure of these studios reflects the challenges faced by the video game industry, with gamers opting for established titles over new purchases due to budget constraints caused by inflation. Last month, the company announced the departure of David Haddad, former Chief of the Interactive Entertainment Unit, after 12 years.

Following suit with other industry leaders like Microsoft’s Xbox and Sony, Warner Bros. is aiming to reduce costs by closing offices.

The company will now focus on four major games in November, establishing a new development studio and investment strategy, with a focus on core franchises such as Harry Potter, Mortal Kombat, DC, and Game of Thrones, as per David Zaslav’s comments.

Skip past newsletter promotions

The company’s previous investment in the suicide squad: killing Justice League did not yield the expected results.

Source: www.theguardian.com

Naughty Dog, the developer of ‘The Last of Us,’ cancels their next game: Science and Technology Update

The next game in the popular “The Last Of Us” series has been cancelled.

Developer Naughty Dog said it had made an “incredibly difficult decision”, recognizing that the scope of the project would negatively impact other future titles.

The studio said in a blog post that it knows “this news will be tough” for fans and added that they are “equally devastated.”

Unlike previous releases, playstation The studio is known for single-player, story-driven blockbusters, but the canceled game was an online multiplayer experience.

Similar to titles like call of duty and fortnite updated regularly to keep players coming back.

Naughty Dog said it is “enthusiastic about the direction” of the project, but that supporting it post-launch risks “significantly impacting the development of future single-player games.”

It said such a game, such indiana jones-Like the Uncharted series, it “defined the Naughty Dog tradition.”

A studio committed to single-player roots

The studio has dabbled in multiplayer in the past, but only as an additional play mode.

First released in 2013, The Last Of Us had a popular online experience called Factions that pitted players against each other in competitive shooting matches.

It was also slated to be part of 2020’s The Last Of Us: Part II before Naughty Dog decided to spin it off and release it as a separate release, but it’s now canned .

“I’m extremely proud of everyone at the studio who worked on this project,” the blog post added.

“The technology learnings and investments from this game will be reflected in our project development and will be invaluable in the direction we are heading as a studio.”

read more:
The real ‘zombie’ germ behind ‘The Last Of Us’
The Last Of Us is the most Googled TV show of 2023

Bella Ramsey talks about ‘bizarre’ homophobic backlash to The Last of Us

What’s next?

Naughty Dog’s next release is the PlayStation 5 re-release of The Last Of Us: Part II, scheduled for January.

The company’s games have been well-received by critics, but the company has released three versions of the original between 2013 and 2022, and has been criticized for milking the post-apocalypse Zombies series.

There is no doubt that they are trying to capitalize on the popularity of . HBO TV animationarrived earlier this year.

But the company’s blog post said it was also developing “several ambitious, ally-new single-player games.”

Source: news.sky.com