What will the future of transportation look like: Robotaxis or self-driving cars? | Technology

Welcome back. This week in tech: General Motors announces the end of robotaxis but not self-driving cars. One woman’s battle against AI in her housing application. Salt Typhoon and tech companies donating to Donald Trump. Thank you for your engagement.

GM discontinues Cruise robotaxi. Uber resumes robotaxi service in Abu Dhabi

Despite the shut down of one robotaxi business, another will emerge. General Motors recently revealed its decision to cease funding Cruise, its subsidiary responsible for self-driving car software and robotaxi services. Cruise faced challenges after a serious accident in 2023, leading to regulatory restrictions on its operations. GM has invested significantly in Cruise but has not seen profits. This move aligns with Apple’s discontinuation of its self-driving car project.

Former Cruise CEO’s revenue projections fell short, leading to GM’s decision. Cruise’s closure mirrors Uber’s shift away from robotaxis to a distribution model in the self-driving sector. Meanwhile, Waymo continues to expand its robotaxi services.

Woman’s fight against AI in housing

AI is infiltrating various aspects of life, including housing. One US woman faced discrimination based on AI screening in her apartment application. After legal action, the responsible company settled and pledged to avoid AI screening for future tenants.

What’s new: Tech CEOs and Trump. Salt Typhoon

  • Technology CEOs and Trump: Silicon Valley leaders publicly align with Trump through donations and engagements. Meta, Amazon, and OpenAI among those contributing to Trump’s fund. Google and Microsoft also show signs of collaboration with Trump.

  • Salt Typhoon: Following the Salt Typhoon cyber attack, cell phone companies are under scrutiny for lack of notification to affected individuals. FBI only alerted high-profile targets, leaving many uninformed.

Wider TechScape

Source: www.theguardian.com

Transatlantic Speed Record Remains Unbroken for 50 Years: Darkness Prevails in the Skies | Air Transportation

ohOn September 1, 1974, two men made the fastest trip ever between New York and London. Traveling three times the speed of sound and taking less than two hours, this incredible journey set a record that still stands 50 years later.

Even the mighty Concorde, which set the record for the fastest commercial transatlantic flight in 1996, was almost an hour late.

The US Air Force Lockheed Blackbird SR-71 jet, with a crew of two – pilot James Sullivan and reconnaissance systems operator Noel Widdifield – completed the flight between the two cities in one hour, 54 minutes and 56 seconds, before landing in triumph to a great welcome at the Farnborough Air Show in Hampshire.

Widdifield, now 83, divides his time between Virginia and Florida in the US. “In some ways it was a normal flight for us,” he said, reflecting on that momentous day. “There was nothing unusual about the flight or the way we flew the plane, but in July 1974 we were told we were going to attempt the world record for flying from New York to London, which had previously been held by a Royal Navy pilot. There was a lot of media interest.”

It wasn’t just the Air Force’s prestige that was at stake. America was facing an international public relations crisis. Just three weeks earlier, disgraced President Richard Nixon had resigned after the Watergate scandal and Gerald Ford had taken over the White House. The country was still reeling from its disastrous involvement in the Vietnam War. The country needed something to cheer about.

There were other schemes as well. Widdifield observer“Although I didn’t know anything about it at the time, behind the scenes, negotiations were taking place between the US and the UK to deploy Blackbird SR-71s on British soil.




Widdifield flew B-52 bombers before joining the Blackbird SR-71 program. Photo: Noel Widdifield

“There were fears in the UK that this move might cause a lot of backlash, especially in the Middle East. But after we broke the record and flew into the Farnborough Air Show, that seemed to be the clincher and the UK allowed the SR-71 to be parked.”

Widdifield was 33 when he made this historic flight. He originally wanted to be a train driver, but after seeing U.S. Air Force jets flying low over his house at age 12, he decided to become a pilot.

After training and flying B-52 bombers, Widdifield served in the Blackbird SR-71 program at Beale Air Force Base in California from 1971 to 1975, after which he retired from flying to serve in the U.S. space program until 1982.

Piloting a Blackbird was akin to being an astronaut: The crew wore space suits and flew at an altitude of 80,000 feet (most commercial airliners top out at 42,000 feet). “It was pitch black up there,” Widdifield said. “You could see the stars and, depending on the time of day, the moon or the sun.”

Their plane took off from Beale and had to fly along the coast to New York to avoid creating a sonic boom over populated areas and causing significant damage to buildings. High above the city was an invisible “gate” where the journey would begin. Reaching a speed of Mach 3.2 (three times the speed of sound, about 2,455 miles per hour), the Blackbird crashed through the gate and the record attempt began.

The plane had to refuel twice: once upon takeoff, once when it docked with a tanker over California to top off, and once en route to near Greenland.

In one incident that looked terrifying from the outside but was handled with cool by the crew, the Blackbird suddenly began to “yaw,” or move quickly from side to side, after losing thrust.

Because the Blackbird took in air from the front to provide thrust for the engines, the air intake mechanisms would often become misaligned, causing a momentary, significant loss of power in one engine.

Skip Newsletter Promotions



Widdifield and Sullivan stand in front of a Blackbird SR-71. Photo: Noel Widdifield

“The automatic restart system was activated, the misaligned cones were corrected and the engine was restarted,” Widdifield said. “We had no real concerns other than what this would do to our record speed run.”


The plane then flew through the London “gates” without incident, and the Blackbird landed at Farnborough, where a large crowd waited and a press conference was held, during which Widdifield and Sullivan were on the phone with the new president. “It got huge international coverage for the next year,” says Widdifield, who has six scrapbooks of the clippings. “But what Jim and I always tried to emphasize was that although it was just the two of us who got the glory, there was a huge team behind every flight.

“When you take into account the support staff, the administrative staff and all the people who work to get us flying, that’s 1,000 people. They deserve as much credit as Jim and I do.”

Widdifield, who has been married to his wife Ann for 63 years and has two children, five grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren, is mourning the loss of his co-pilot, Jim Sullivan, who died in 2021, and the Blackbird SR-71 itself, which was officially retired in 1998.

He said: “Jim and I kept in touch but then lived far apart so we only saw each other a few times at SR-71 reunions.

“Obviously I was sad when the SR-71 program ended. So am I surprised that no one has beaten our record in 50 years? No, because no aircraft has been built since then that could break that record.”

Source: www.theguardian.com

The altar stones from Stonehenge were carried to Scotland for transportation.

The Altar Stone is located within the two large stone rings of Stonehenge.

Gavin Hellyer/Robert Suding/Getty Images

A study of the six-tonne altar stone at the heart of Stonehenge has revealed that it was almost certainly brought from northeast Scotland, much further away than any of the other stones in the megalithic structure.

“We were all in shock, we couldn't believe it,” the geologist said. Anthony Clark Curtin University, Perth, Australia.

It's unclear how the altar stone got from Scotland to southern England, but it was probably by sea, Clark said, because there is evidence people at the time traveled by sea.

Stonehenge is thought to have been begun about 5,100 years ago and constructed over a period of about 1,500 years. The outer circle is made of large stones called sarsens, weighing about 25 tons, while the inner circle and altar are made of small stones called bluestones, weighing about 3 tons. Bluestones are any rock that is not a sarsen. Bluestones are made of many different types of rock.

“What's unique about Stonehenge is the distance the stones were transported,” the geologist says. Richard Bevins Bevins, a researcher at Aberystwyth University in the UK, said most of the stone circles were made from rocks found within one kilometre of the site.

But the sarsens' source has been identified as West Woods in Wiltshire, about 15 miles (25 km) from the site, and Bevins' team has found that almost all of the bluestones came from the Preseli Hills in Wales, about 175 miles (280 km) away. One theory is that they were part of an even older Welsh stone monument that had been moved.

Stonehenge's Altar Stone is different to other bluestones: “By the end of 2021, we had concluded that the Altar Stone does not match any known geology in Wales,” team members said. Nick Piercealso at Aberystwyth University.

The five-metre-long stone is set into the ground with only one side exposed and partially covered by two other stones. It is thought to have been placed there around 4,500 years ago.

Stonehenge's altar stone (which is embedded beneath the other stones) was brought from north-east Scotland.

Nick Pearce, Aberystwyth University

Clark is currently analyzing samples of the altar stone using sophisticated equipment commonly used in the mining industry. The altar stone is made of sandstone, which means grains of rock that were deposited on the floor of an ancient sea eroded away and eventually stuck together to form new rock. The age of each grain varies depending on when the eroded rocks first formed, so each sandstone is a mix of grains of different ages.

Clark analyzed the zircon, apatite, and rutile crystals in the rock sample. These minerals contain uranium, which slowly decays into lead, so the ratio of uranium to lead can be used to determine the age of the rock. For example, the zircon in the rock is between 500 million and 3 billion years old.

The dating pattern indicates with more than 95 percent certainty that the altar stone is made from ancient red sandstone from the Auckland Basin in northeast Scotland, team members say. Chris Kirkland Located at Curtin University, the basin was once a huge ancient body of water called Lake Orcadie.

The nearest older red sandstone sites to Stonehenge are near Inverness, 750 kilometres (470 miles) away, and the furthest are in the Shetland Islands, up to 1,000 kilometres (620 miles) away, so the team believes the altar stone was probably transported by sea.

Glaciers can carry rocks long distances, and there's evidence that during the last ice age, ice in the Orkney region flowed north rather than south, Kirkland said.

So why was the altar stone transported so far? “That's a big question that's impossible to answer,” Clark says. “All we know is that it's a six-tonne rock that was transported from 750 kilometres away. That alone tells us an enormous amount about Neolithic societies and their connections.”

“What they did was pretty rigorous.” David Nash A team from the University of Brighton in the UK has pinpointed the exact source of Wiltshire sarsens: “This is really solid research.”

Nash said pinpointing the source of the altar stone more precisely would be difficult because the Orkney Basin spans a vast area and is up to five miles deep. “It's a huge task, because there's a huge amount of old red sandstone in the north of Scotland.”

In contrast, finding the exact source of the sarsens was easier because there were fewer possible sources, he said.

Genetic studies have shown that the people responsible for much of Stonehenge's construction were largely replaced by new waves of immigrants by about 4,000 years ago, likely after a major epidemic wiped out much of Europe's population.

topic:

Source: www.newscientist.com

Europe’s longest Hyperloop test track reignites excitement for the future of metro transportation

Europe’s longest Hyperloop test line opening has once again sparked hopes for a future that combines maglev and vacuum tube transportation technologies.

Operators believe that this facility will demonstrate the feasibility of Hyperloop, paving the way for a high-speed tube network spanning 6,200 miles (10,000km) across the continent by 2050.

Currently, the testbed at the European Hyperloop Center in Veendam is a 420-meter-long bifurcated white pipe running alongside a track and road, not yet transporting people in the Netherlands.

The test pipe, constructed from 34 connected 2.5-meter-wide prefabricated steel cylinders, partially funded by the EU, falls short of the envisioned two-mile track for 2020 due to speed limitations. The goal is to achieve the required 620 mph (1,000 km/h) in the future.



Test track at the European Hyperloop Center in Veendam. Photo: Hollandse Hoogte/Rex/Shutterstock

The Vandeem pipe’s fork will be instrumental in testing “lane switching” during high-speed vehicle course changes, with initial tests conducted by Hard Hyperloop in the Netherlands.

The center’s director, Sacha Lam, hailed this development as a pivotal moment, envisioning a pan-European network with infrastructure branching to various destinations like Paris and Berlin.

Skip past newsletter promotions

The concept of the Hyperloop was introduced by Elon Musk in 2013, proposing a line between San Francisco and Los Angeles. This innovative transportation method could revolutionize travel speed and efficiency.

Despite past setbacks, such as Hyperloop One’s bankruptcy, proponents like Sacha Lam see a bright future where a European Hyperloop network could become a reality within decades, offering a cleaner, quieter, and faster mode of transportation.

This innovative technology could help Europe catch up with pioneering developments in China, where a “low-vacuum pipeline magnetic levitation technology” test track was unveiled in 2022.

Source: www.theguardian.com