Investigation Launched into Online Suicide Forum in Response to UK Digital Safety Act

UK Communications Regulators have announced the first investigation under the new Digital Safety Act, with an investigation into an online suicide forum.

Ofcom is investigating whether the site has violated the Online Safety Act by failing to take appropriate measures to protect users from illegal content.

The law requires tech platforms to tackle illegal material, such as promoting suicide, or face the threat of fines up to £18 million or 10% of global revenue. In extreme cases, Ofcom also has the power to block access to UK sites or apps.

Ofcom said it didn’t name the forum under investigation, focusing on whether the site has taken appropriate steps to protect users in the UK, whether it failed to complete an assessment of harm that could be requested under the law, and whether it responded appropriately to requests for information.

“This is the first investigation open to individual online service providers under these new laws,” Ofcom said.

The BBC was reported in 2023 The easy-to-access forum for anyone on the open web has led to at least 50 deaths in the UK, with tens of thousands of members with debate, including methods of suicide.

Last month, the obligation came into effect under a law requiring 100,000 services under that range, from small sites to large platforms such as X, Facebook and Google. This Act contains 130 “priority violations” or illegal content. This should be addressed as a priority by ensuring that a moderation system is set up to address such material.

“We were clear… we may not comply with the new online safety obligation or we may not be able to properly respond to information requests, leading to enforcement action and we will not hesitate to take prompt action suspecting there is a serious violation,” Ofcom said.

Skip past newsletter promotions

In the UK and Ireland, Samaritans can be contacted on Freephone 116 123 or emailed to jo@samaritans.org or jo@samaritans.ie. In the US, connect with crisis counselors by calling or texting the 988 National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, chatting at 988lifeline.org, or texting 741741 text. In Australia, the Crisis Support Service Lifeline is 13 11 14.

Source: www.theguardian.com

Facebook returns to its origins by prioritizing posts from friends and family

Last year, Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg and one of his top EUs, Tom Allison, were discussing how to rebuild Facebook for the future of social networking.

Zuckerberg, who grew Facebook to a $1.5 trillion company renamed Meta from the dorm room project, wanted to regain some of the original rationales for social networks, or what he called the “OG Facebook” vibe, Alison said. After adding many years of features, executives felt that some of Facebook’s important features were dead.

So they asked themselves: Why not build some features similar to old Facebook?

On Thursday, Meta did it with a simple adjustment. The company now includes a separate news feed for users, featuring posts shared only by people’s friends and family.

A feature called The Friends tab replaces the app’s tab that displays new friends’ requests or suggested friends. Instead, Friends Tab will display a scroll feed of posts such as photos, video stories, text, birthday notifications, and friend requests. For now, Facebook users are only available in the US and Canada.

“We’re looking forward to seeing you in the facebook app,” said Allison, head of the Facebook app. “We’re making sure there’s still a place on Facebook for something like this, something you shouldn’t get lost in the modern social media mix.”

The new feed is a sudden departure from the way social media has evolved over the past decade. The rise of apps like Tiktok has become accustomed to seeing feed posts from influencers and content creators. Other companies followed suit. Meta’s apps, including Instagram, have begun to lean more towards recommended content to attract people for a longer period of time.

Now people see apps like YouTube, Instagram, Tiktok as something similar to TV.

Not everyone is welcoming shifts. When Zuckerberg founded Facebook in 2004, it was intended to help college students connect with friends on campus. As the app becomes more popular, it is now helping all users stay up to date with posts from friends and family.

So, when Zuckerberg announced in 2022 that Meta would insert recommended content on Facebook from people who were not connected to users, many users rebelled. Many people first discovered recommended content – it relied on surface suggestions – it was jarring. After some criticism, Zuckerberg slightly reduced the amount of such content added to people’s Facebook feeds.

Still, that didn’t stop meta from accepting algorithmically recommended content. In recent years, much of the people’s feed on Facebook and Instagram has been dominated by creators, businesses and brands. Recommended content such as Meta’s video product, Reels, has led people to spend more time on the app, the company said.

Meta has no plans to stop adding recommended content to users’ feeds, Alison said in an interview. For now, the company doesn’t think The Friends Tab is more popular than the recommended home feed.

And there could be more changes to Facebook. Meta is planning to bring in other features and updates to Facebook next year, making social media still “social,” Alison said.

“Frankly, it’s the heart of Facebook,” he said.

Source: www.nytimes.com

Ofcom calls for action following allegations of Roblox being a ‘pedophile hellscape’ by US company

Child safety activists have urged the UK’s communications watchdog to enforce new online laws following accusations that video game companies have turned their platforms into “hellscapes for adult pedophiles.” They are calling for “gradual changes.”

Last week, Roblox, a popular gaming platform with 80 million daily users, came under fire for its lax security controls. An investment firm in the US criticized Roblox, claiming that its games expose children to grooming, pornography, violent content, and abusive language. The company has denied these claims and stated that safety and civility are fundamental to their operations.

The report highlighted concerning issues such as users seeking to groom avatars, trading in child pornography, accessible sex games, violent content, and abusive behavior on Roblox. Despite these concerns, the company insists that millions of users have safe and positive experiences on the platform, and any safety incidents are taken seriously.

Roblox, known for its user-generated content, allows players to create and play their own games with friends. However, child safety campaigners emphasize the need for stricter enforcement of online safety laws to protect young users from harmful content and interactions on platforms like Roblox.

Platforms like Roblox will need to implement measures to protect children from inappropriate content, prevent grooming, and introduce age verification processes to comply with the upcoming legislation. Ofcom, the regulator responsible for enforcing these laws, is expected to have broad enforcement powers to ensure user safety.

In response, a Roblox spokesperson stated that the company is committed to full compliance with the Online Safety Act, engaging in consultations and assessments to align with Ofcom’s guidelines. They look forward to seeing the final code of practice and ensuring a safe online environment for all users.

Source: www.theguardian.com

Elon Musk criticizes OpenAI for prioritizing profit over humanity

Elon Musk is suing OpenAI and its CEO Sam Altman for prioritizing profit over humanity’s interests, contrary to its core mission.

As the wealthiest individual globally and a founding director of the AI company behind ChatGPT, Musk alleges that Altman violated OpenAI’s founding covenant by striking an investment deal with Microsoft.

The lawsuit, filed in San Francisco, accuses OpenAI of prioritizing profit over human well-being by shifting its focus to developing artificial general intelligence (AGI) for commercial gain rather than humanitarian purposes.

Musk claims that OpenAI has essentially become a subsidiary of Microsoft, the world’s largest tech company, under new leadership, diverting from its original principles outlined in the founding agreement.

The lawsuit raises concerns about AGI posing a significant threat to humanity, particularly if it falls into profit-driven companies’ hands, like Google.

Originally founded to be a nonprofit, open-source organization working for the greater good, OpenAI’s alleged transition to a profit-centric entity under Microsoft’s influence has prompted Musk to take legal action.

The lawsuit contends that the development of OpenAI’s GPT-4 model, shrouded in secrecy, deviates from their initial mission and breaches contractual obligations.

Musk, who played a significant role in establishing OpenAI but exited in 2018, claims that the company’s recent actions concerning AGI technology are in direct conflict with its intended purpose.

The lawsuit aims to compel OpenAI to adhere to its original mission of developing AGI for humanity’s benefit, not for personal gain or for tech giants like Microsoft.

The deal between OpenAI and Microsoft is now facing scrutiny from competition authorities in various regions, including the US, EU, and UK.

Source: www.theguardian.com

UN Secretary-General condemns big tech companies for prioritizing profits over ethics in AI development at Davos 2024

The pursuit of profits from artificial intelligence by big technology companies is reckless. Urgent action is necessary to mitigate the risks from this rapidly growing sector, the UN chief has warned.

UN Secretary-General António Guterres issued a scathing attack on technology multinationals during the World Economic Forum meeting in Davos. He stated that each advance in generative AI has heightened the threat of unintended consequences.

Guterres connected the risks related to AI to those posed by the climate crisis, highlighting that the international community lacks a strategy to address either issue.

During the WEF in Switzerland, the UN Secretary-General appealed to technology industry representatives in the audience to collaborate with governments in establishing guardrails for AI.

He referred to a warning in an IMF report, saying, “This technology has great potential for sustainable development, but it is very likely to exacerbate inequality.”

Guterres argued that influential technology companies are prioritizing profits without regard for human rights, personal privacy, and social impact.

While tech companies claim to have preventive measures in place to stop AI from being used for crime or other nefarious purposes, Guterres insisted that more action is necessary, urging governments and international organizations such as the United Nations to play a role in ensuring that AI is a force for good.

He emphasized the need for governments to work with technology companies to develop a risk management framework for current AI developments and to monitor and mitigate future damage, as well as to increase access to AI to bridge the digital divide.

Sam Altman, an executive at OpenAichief, highlighted the requirement for energy breakthroughs to meet the future demands of AI. He underlined the need for climate-friendly energy sources such as nuclear fusion, cheap solar power, and storage.

Skip past newsletter promotions

Guterres also criticized fossil fuel companies for impeding progress on climate change and stressed the importance of phasing out fossil fuels for a just and equitable transition to renewable energy.

In summary, Guterres highlighted the need for a significant global strategy to address the threats posed by climate change and uncontrolled AI.

Source: www.theguardian.com